Riding a bicycle and enjoying the beautiful scenery the Bluegrass State has to offer is a fun activity that can be a great way to exercise and stay healthy. However, if a bicyclist is involved in an accident, it can lead to very serious injuries or possibly even death as a bike offers virtually no protection in a crash with a motor vehicle.
As bike enthusiasts face unique dangers while on the open road, it is imperative for bikers to practice safety and be cautious at all times. The following are some tips to help you stay safe when you’re on two wheels.
- When riding in traffic, always ride with the flow of traffic and in a straight line. In addition, always ride to the right unless you are turning left, passing another vehicle or bicycle, or avoiding hazards.
- Obey normal traffic safety rules and traffic signals. Always use proper hand signals when changing lanes, stopping, or turning; stop at signs and red lights; and use lights at night.
- Keep your bicycle properly maintained to help avoid accidents.
- Wear bright clothing during the daytime and reflective clothing in the evenings when it is darker. Using lights and reflectors will also help you be more visible to motorists, which can decrease your chances of being involved in a crash.
- Do not wear headphones in both ears while driving; doing this will help you stay alert as to what is going on around you. Also, be aware and watch out for any potential road hazards.
- Ride defensively! Other motorists may not be cautious, so being a defensive biker can be great protection against careless drivers.
- Wear a helmet. Though KY currently has no law regarding helmet use, wearing one can prevent serious head trauma or brain injuries to a bicyclist.
Bicycle accidents can be very dangerous for riders, so practicing safety on KY roadways is of the utmost importance. However, other drivers on the road may not obey the safety rules that can prevent dangerous collisions. If involved in a crash that was caused by the negligence of another motorist, an experienced Louisville bicycle accident attorney can help protect your legal rights and get the compensation you deserve following a bike accident.