On July 26, 2019, 17-year-old Tryston Zohfeld’s previously healthy lungs suddenly failed. He says he woke up vomiting, and his heart was beating rapidly. The Texas teen was rushed to the Cook Children’s Hospital in Fort Worth, Texas. Doctors put him in a medically induced coma while they ran tests to figure out the cause. Tests for diseases like pneumonia all came back negative even though chest X-rays showed his lungs were completely blocked.
His condition kept getting worse and doctors didn’t know the cause. That’s when a family member revealed that Tryston had vaped since he was in the eighth grade. His parents were shocked because they hadn’t known about his secret habit. His father, Matt Zohfeld said to ABC, “The lightbulb started coming on. It started making sense why we weren’t finding anything else.”