Whether you’re running errands, heading to work, or going out for the night with friends, you have certain expectations for how your day will go. When an accident that isn’t your fault throws a wrench into your plans, it can be confusing when trying to figure out what to do next. Fortunately, an Oak Park, IL personal injury lawyer is here to help.
At Thomas Law Offices, we know what you’re going through after an accident. We can determine what your rights are and if you have grounds to pursue an injury claim. While doing so can be a lengthy endeavor, it may be the only opportunity you have to claim the compensation you need to get your life back in order.
Common Personal Injury Claims
There are a number of situations that could potentially warrant a personal injury claim. To have a valid case, you have to be able to prove that someone’s negligence caused your accident, and you suffered injuries and losses as a result. While there are many accident types, there are some that are more common when it comes to pursuing a claim. For example, clients who come to us have often been in one of the following situations:
- Car Accidents. As a responsible driver, you’re fully aware of the potential dangers of negligence behind the wheel. Unfortunately, not all drivers follow the rules of the road or take care to drive safely. If you’re involved in an auto accident, an Oak Park car accident lawyer can investigate your situation and determine how and why you were injured.
- Truck Accidents. Truck drivers are often on the road for extended hours. In an effort to make it to their destinations on time, they may speed or drive fatigued. Unfortunately, both of those actions have the potential to result in a semi-truck accident. The consequences of a tractor-trailer crash are often severe, which is why it’s essential to be represented by an Oak Park truck accident lawyer.
- Medical Malpractice. When you enter a hospital or other medical facility to seek treatment for an ailment, injury, or condition, you expect to receive the care you need to return to your previous state of health. However, if a doctor makes a mistake during the course of your treatment and you suffer additional injuries or losses, an Oak Park medical malpractice lawyer can evaluate your situation and determine if negligence played a role in what you were put through.
- Nursing Home Abuse. Nursing homes are supposed to provide residents with the care they need to live a high-quality life. However, when intentional abuse or unintentional neglect results in injuries and harm, it’s crucial to get help from an Oak Park nursing home abuse lawyer who has the experience and skills needed to represent your loved one.
- Wrongful Death. Any of the above situations have the potential to result in fatal injuries. If you’re the surviving family member of a loved one who passed in a preventable accident, you should consider seeking guidance from an Oak park wrongful death lawyer. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the death, you may be able to secure your family’s financial future.
While those incidents are some of the most common when it comes to personal injury claims, the above list is by no means comprehensive. Some of the other cases we can help you handle include the following:
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Birth Injuries
- Brain Injuries
- Sexual Assault
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Construction Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Slip and Falls
- Product Liability
- Social Security Disability
No matter what type of accident you’ve been in, our attorneys are ready to explain your legal rights and options to you and ensure you have the best chance at recovering.
Pursuing Compensation With an Oak Park, IL Personal Injury Lawyer
Even a minor accident can result in extensive financial losses. When you file an injury claim, you’ll be able to seek compensation for those losses. In order to maximize your settlement or verdict, it’s important to have a solid understanding of the value of your claim—which is where an Oak Park personal injury attorney comes in.
When your lawyer first begins valuing your claim, they’ll look at your economic losses. These are the expenses you’ve experienced that are calculable—like medical bills, lost wages, and property damage. If your injuries are severe and you’ll need future medical care or cannot return to your previous place of employment, they’ll consider those costs.
Once you have a general idea of your direct losses, you can start determining the value of your non-economic losses. These are harder to calculate, as they’re based on more personal losses like pain and suffering, but your lawyer will know how to value your claim. In some instances, punitive damages could be awarded, which serve to punish the defendant for gross negligence and discourage others from acting similarly in the future.
Living in Oak Park, Illinois
As a village in Cook County, Oak Park is home to over 50,000 residents. Closely connected to Chicago, the area remains ethnically diverse and features a bustling downtown, filled with restaurants, bars, shops, and more.
Oak Park’s vibrant arts community is home to numerous theater, music, dance, and fine arts professionals. In addition, several professional dance and theatre companies, including Circle Theatre, Oak Park Festival Theatre, and Momenta resident dance company of The Academy of Movement and Music, call Oak Park their home.
While Oak Park is a great place to live and work, the area does experience accidents. Whether you’ve been injured in a car accident or fell on someone’s property, Thomas Law Offices can look into your situation and determine if there are grounds for legal action. Located in Chicago, our office is dedicated to representing those in and around the city who have been wrongfully injured because of someone else’s decisions.
Let Thomas Law Offices Represent You
While you may not be able to prevent an accident from happening, you can stop it from completely upending your future. At Thomas Law Offices, our Oak Park, IL personal injury lawyers have extensive experience representing accident victims, and we’re ready to take your case on next.
We recognize the struggles involved in dealing with the aftermath of an accident. That’s why we’ll handle the legal paperwork and conversations for you, so you can focus on healing physically and mentally. The sooner you get in touch with a lawyer after your accident, the better your chances are of receiving a fair monetary award.
When you first reach out to us, we’ll evaluate your situation and help you determine how best to proceed. If filing a claim is in your best interests, we’ll guide you through the process, conduct a thorough investigation, and fight for your right to compensation. Contact us today to learn more.