After an accident occurs, you could be left with significant injuries and other damages. If the accident was someone else’s fault, you might be able to hold them accountable and seek compensation for your losses. Because the legal process is difficult, it’s important to have experienced representation on your side. A St. Louis personal injury lawyer from Thomas Law Offices can help you.
Our firm understands how overwhelming an accident can be. When you’re juggling injuries, missing work, and you’re trying to get back on your feet, you may wonder how you’re going to handle a legal matter. We can be at your side at every step through the process to make sure your rights are protected. We understand that each case will have its own set of unique circumstances and details. Our attorneys are ready to investigate your case and fight for you to get the compensation you deserve.
We Specialize in Various Personal Injury Practice Areas
As personal injury lawyers, we handle all types of claims where another person’s negligence has hurt someone. Negligence is a legal term that suggests the allegedly at-fault party failed to provide the required level of care or forethought in any given situation. Proving negligence is a complex, multipart process, which is why it’s important to have an attorney by your side.
Below are some of the common types of claims we’ve seen.
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Medical Malpractice
- Brain injuries
- Birth Injuries
- Wrongful Death
- Construction Accidents
- Product Liability
- Premises Liability
- Rideshare accidents such as Uber accidents, Lyft accidents, and electric rental scooter wrecks.
If you were in a different accident than what you see above, you should still meet with a St. Louis personal injury lawyer from Thomas Law Offices. We’ll go over the specifics of your case and help you find the best way to move forward.
It’s important to get started on your case so you can get the recovery you deserve. When we investigate your case, we’ll assess your injuries and find how the accident has affected you. Let’s take a look at some of the injuries that can occur after an accident.
When Negligence Leads to Severe Injuries
When a person acts negligently and causes an accident, the injuries you’ve sustained can require extensive medical care. Some common injuries that can occur in accidents include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries. Mild brain injuries can result in a concussion, which may heal on its own. However, if the brain suffers more damage, a traumatic brain injury can impede brain function and possibly cause permanent damage.
- Broken Bones. Whether negligence leads to a motor vehicle accident or a slip and fall, it’s possible for the accident to result in broken bones. These injuries can take weeks or months to heal and can prevent someone from being able to do their job or affect their mobility while they recover.
- Sprains. Soft tissue injuries are more difficult to spot immediately as they may not have obvious signs. However, these injuries require care and rest for them to heal. If someone pushes through a sprain, they could experience pain and possibly make the injury worse.
- Spinal Cord Injuries. If an accident leads to a spinal cord injury, the damage could result in paralysis below the injury site.
Your physical injuries may result in staying in the hospital, multiple appointments with doctors and other specialists, surgical procedures, medical equipment, and more. While you’re recovering, you may begin to worry about how you’re going to afford the treatment you need. That’s where our St. Louis personal injury lawyer can help.
Economic and Noneconomic Damages
When we’re fighting for you to get fair compensation, we’ll take your economic and non-economic damages into account. Your economic damages will cover your financial losses, and the non-economic damages are the other consequences of the accident.
Economic losses can include the following:
- Past and Future Medical Expenses. Your past medical bills, in addition to the care you’ll need in the future, can create a lot of financial stress. These injuries should have been prevented, and you shouldn’t have to bear the costs of your care alone. We’ll review medical records and calculate the costs of your medical expenses, so your compensation covers your treatment.
- Lost Wages. When you’ve suffered severe injuries, you’ll likely need time off work while you recover. Missing work for a long period of time can add to the stress of affording the medical care you need. We’ll calculate the days of work you missed and include that in your compensation amount.
- Property Damage. If your property was damaged in your accident, you might also worry about the costs of repair. You shouldn’t have to cover the costs of your ruined property because someone else’s negligent actions caused it to sustain damage. Your lawyer will also look into how much the costs of repair would be and fight for your compensation to cover those costs.
Noneconomic damages refer to the other losses you may have incurred from your accident that you may not have considered. These can also make up a significant amount of the compensation you receive. Our lawyers have years of experience calculating noneconomic damages for our clients. You may be eligible to recover the following damages:
- Pain and Suffering. After the accident, you could have spent days or weeks with painful injuries that should have been prevented. We’ll seek compensation that accounts for your suffering.
- Mental Anguish. If the injury caused permanent disfigurement or disability, you might be struggling with the sudden change to your life. This can cause a lot of emotional stress.
- Loss of Companionship. If your loved one lost their life because of someone else’s negligence, our wrongful death lawyers will help you get justice for them. Part of the noneconomic damages you can recover is loss of companionship. While we cannot undo the tragic loss, we can seek fair compensation for you and your family so you can grieve in peace.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life. The effects of an injury can prevent you from living your life the way you did before the accident. This can take an emotional toll. You may not be able to do certain activities or hobbies and may struggle with completing basic everyday tasks.
As we’re fighting for you to receive the compensation you deserve, you may be getting harassing phone calls from an insurance adjuster. It’s their job to try and get you to settle your case early, as this protects their best interests by saving them money. Settling early may seem appealing, but it will typically leave you with less compensation than you deserve. Having a lawyer go over the full extent of your injuries and protecting your best interests is the best way to getting the justice you deserve.
It’s important to note that in the event a settlement is not possible, you have the option of pursuing your claim in court. If you file a lawsuit, the verdict will ultimately be decided by the judge or jury. While this can extend the time it takes to resolve litigation by months or longer, it may be the only way to receive the monetary award you need.
The Elements of a Personal Injury Case
While every personal injury case is unique, there are a few common points you’ll have to show to have a valid case. Our lawyers are well-versed in building strong personal injury cases and will make sure your case has the following elements.
- Establish a Duty of Care Was Owed. This could be a driver owing you a duty of care to operate their vehicle safely or a doctor to give you the correct medication and prevent you from experiencing unnecessary harm. Once we establish this duty of care, we’ll show how they failed to meet it.
- Show How the Party Acted Negligently. Negligent actions show that the other party failed to meet the standard of care. This could be from speeding on the highway, giving you the wrong dose of medication, or failing to fix a faulty railing on a staircase.
- Show How the Negligence Caused the Accident. Then, we’ll connect their negligence to your accident. A negligent driver could have veered into your lane or hit the back of your car. A negligent doctor may have given you medication you’re allergic to.
- Connect the Accident to Your Injuries and Damages. Medical records, photographs, and reports of the accident can help prove how your injuries and damages resulted from the accident. When these elements are present, we can fight for you to receive full and fair compensation.
We’re going to be at your side every step of the way. Our lawyers will make sure your case has the evidence necessary to show that your injuries should have been prevented and that the other party’s negligence caused them. When you’re left with the damages of an accident that was someone else’s fault, we’ll fight for you to stand up to them and show them that their actions were unacceptable.
In some cases, the other party may not be cooperative or could be offering you less compensation than you deserve. If your case needs to go to court, Thomas Law Offices is prepared to help. Your St. Louis personal injury lawyer will discuss the various advantages and disadvantages of fighting your case in the courtroom and go over what the process will be like so you know what to expect. You’ll be confident and ready for your day in court.
Proud to Serve St. Louis Citizens
Thomas Law Offices already represents citizens in Kentucky, Ohio, and Illinois. We’re ready to provide our expertise to the citizens of St. Louis and the great state of Missouri. Our lawyers are fiercely passionate about protecting the rights of hardworking people who were victims of an accident that wasn’t their fault. We’ll stand by your side and help you get your life back on track.
We’re excited to put down new roots in St. Louis. This historic city was founded in 1764. Its fame grew at the starting point for the Lewis and Clark Louisiana Purchase Expedition of 1803. Since then, the city has continued to grow and urbanize into the bustling, diverse city it is now.
With awe-inspiring structures like The Gateway Arch, interesting attractions like the Missouri Botanical Garden, and the City Museum, we can see the thriving culture of St Louis. We’re ready to be a part of it.
We understand that accidents occur every day, affecting innocent people. An accident can put your life on hold for a bit, but it shouldn’t put it on hold forever. When you meet with one of our lawyers, we’ll begin to take steps to help you recover from this accident physically, emotionally, and financially. The first step is contacting us for help.
The Benefits of Working With a Personal Injury Attorney
No matter what type of accident you’ve been involved in, it’s important to understand the benefits of seeking legal representation. You may think you can manage an insurance claim on your own, but doing so could actually jeopardize your chances of receiving full damages. In addition to that, only filing an insurance claim may not be enough.
Personal injury lawyers are professional and objective. We understand that the trauma you’ve experienced can make it difficult to make decisions as far as your accident is concerned. Fortunately, your attorney will bring knowledge, skill, and experience to your case to help you get the settlement you deserve.
In addition to that, your attorney will know how to negotiate. Depending on your situation, proving negligence could be challenging. If that’s the case, the opposing party may try to claim you were at fault, or they may offer a low settlement. Your lawyer will be able to prove fault and express what you’re owed and why.
At Thomas Law Offices, we recognize that accidents happen. We also know that when someone else’s negligence causes your injuries, you deserve the chance to fight for what you’re owed. We’re prepared to guide you through the personal injury claim process and ensure you get what you need to get your life back in order.
Seek Legal Options in Missouri
If you or a loved one has been a victim of an accident that’s resulted in injuries and damages, you may feel like you don’t know who to turn to. Thomas Law Offices is here to provide our legal expertise, so you don’t have to handle a legal matter on your own.
When this burden is lifted off your shoulders, you’ll be able to focus on your recovery. Your St. Louis personal injury lawyer will keep you informed about the status of your case, so you’re never wondering about how it’s progressing. We’ll address your concerns and questions and provide you with as much clarity as possible.
It’s important to get started on your case as soon as possible so physical evidence can be preserved and to make sure you’re within the statute of limitations. If you try to file outside of the statute of limitations, you may be ineligible for compensation. The time you have may vary depending on your unique case. Our lawyers will know which laws apply to it and how long you’ll have to come forward. Get in touch with our office today so we can begin your legal journey and fight for you to receive maximum compensation for your recovery.