When you hear someone you know has been involved in an accident, you want to do whatever you can to help them. When you’re the person in an accident though, you may feel helpless, angry, and overwhelmed. Under Illinois state law, accident victims have the right to take legal action in the event someone else’s actions or inactions caused their injuries and losses. If you’re in a situation like that, you’ll benefit from having a Dolton, IL personal injury lawyer by your side.
At Thomas Law Offices, our attorneys are well-versed in personal injury law, and we’re prepared to explain your rights and options to you so that you can make the best decisions for your future and your family.
Personal Injury Claims in Dolton
There are a number of situations that warrant an injury claim. Let’s start by taking a look at some of the most common.
- Car Accidents. Drivers owe each other a duty of care. If a driver is distracted, fatigued, or breaking a law when they caused an accident, they can be held accountable for their negligence.
- Truck Accidents. Truck drivers are often on the road for long hours, making them susceptible to zoning out and losing track of the vehicles around them. Because of the size difference between 18-wheelers and passenger cars, tractor-trailer crashes can be fatal.
- Medical Malpractice. When a doctor ignores the standard of care and harms a patient, they can seek compensation for their losses. This can happen in the operating room, during a regular appointment, or while being admitted to the hospital.
- Nursing Home Abuse. When a long-term care facility fails to care for a patient and they are injured, or a resident is intentionally harmed, the responsible employee should be held accountable for their negligence.
- Wrongful Death. If you lost a loved one in an accident that was not their fault, your family may be able to file a claim to seek compensation for your losses.
While the situations listed above are some of the most common claims we see, that’s not where we stop when it comes to representing clients. We also have experience with the following types of claims:
- Motorcycle Accidents. Motorcyclists are at risk of severe injury in the event of an accident because of their exposure to the elements. As a result, extensive medical bills and lost earning capacity are common.
- Birth Injuries. If your baby was injured during the labor and delivery process or anytime throughout your pregnancy, you may be able to hold the doctor or hospital accountable for expenses and losses.
- Brain Injuries. The more severe a brain injury, the more likely it is a person will be unable to return to their previous way of living.
- Sexual Assault. Victims of sexual assault deserve the opportunity to hold their attacker accountable for their actions.
- Spinal Cord Injuries. Depending on the severity of a spinal cord injury, an accident victim could sustain a degree of paralysis, making it impossible for them to return to their old way of life.
- Construction Accidents. While all jobs come with some risk, construction accidents have the potential to be fatal. Falls, crush injuries, and other accidents are often the result of failure to follow safety protocols.
- Premises Liability. Property owners are responsible for ensuring their home or business is in good condition. If a visitor is injured, the at-fault property owner can be held accountable.
- Slip and Falls. Slip and fall accidents often happen in public places like grocery stores or poorly maintained parking lots in the winter.
- Product Liability. Manufacturers, distributors, and sellers are responsible for ensuring what they put on the market is safe for consumers. Failing to do so can result in legal action from the injured party or parties.
- Social Security Disability. If you’ve been injured and are now disabled, you may be seeking compensation from the federal government. Filing for Social Security disability is hard, which is why you’ll want a lawyer by your side.
No matter what type of accident you’ve been in, you deserve the best chance at recovery. We’re here to walk you through the personal injury process and ensure you have what you need to find a new sense of normalcy in your everyday life.
Learn About Your Rights From a Dolton, IL Personal Injury Lawyer
As the victim of an accident, pursuing a claim may be the only way to receive the compensation you need to get your life back in order and recover as fully as possible from your injuries.
The claims process can seem complex, especially when you’re dealing with physical injuries, emotional trauma, and lost wages, but with the right Dolton lawyer by your side, you’ll be able to build a case that proves you’re owed a monetary award for your losses and suffering.
If you choose to pursue legal action against the allegedly negligent party, you need to prove negligence on their behalf. This involves explaining their duty of care and how they breached it, as well as how that breach caused your injuries and monetary losses.
While you have the right to pursue a claim, it’s important to ensure you do so within the required time frame. Your attorney can explain the statute of limitations to you and ensure all paperwork is filed on time.
The Village of Dolton, Illinois
Dolton, Illinois is a village in Cook County and home to over 23,000 people. Located immediately south of the city limits of Chicago, Dolton is close enough to the city that many people commute, but far enough away that people can enjoy the quiet atmosphere of the suburbs.
While Dolton is a great place to live, work, and raise a family, accidents do happen. In the event you’re injured in the area and are seeking help from an attorney, Thomas Offices is ready to listen to what you’ve been through and provide solid advice on how best to proceed to protect your future.
We understand the challenges of finding reliable, resourceful legal representation in small towns, which is why our Chicago office is dedicated to helping injury victims in as many locations in Illinois as possible.
Contact Thomas Law Offices
The sooner you get in touch with our law firm, the better your chances will be of recovering full and fair compensation for your injuries and losses. Depending on your circumstances, you could be eligible for compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
To get started with your claim, schedule a free case evaluation with a Dolton, IL personal injury lawyer. We’ll guide you through the process and build a strong claim that proves you were wronged and deserve the best chance at recovery.