Experienced Injury Lawyers
During the COVID-19 Pandemic, we're offering Free Virtual Consultations

What Type of Doctor Do I Need to Visit After a Car Crash?

Published on Mar 20, 2018 at 12:25 pm in Auto Accident.

When you’re in a car accident, you’re suddenly flung into a confusing situation that can cause injury, emotional trauma, and financial stress. There are probably many questions flying through your head about if you’re okay, if anyone else involved in the crash needs help, how long it will take to recover, and was this your fault.

These questions are normal, but don’t let them get in the way of your health and wellbeing. After you take care of your injuries, then you can seek legal aid. If the accident wasn’t your fault, Thomas Law Offices can help you and your family by helping you file a Louisville car accident lawsuit that may award you with the compensation you need to recover. We’ll help you file your claim and fight for your rights.

If you’ve been in a car accident, one question you may have is regarding the type of medical care you need and what doctors you should see after the crash. Here are some vital tips to follow when making the decision to seek medical assistance:

Don’t Wait to Call 911

If anyone clearly needs immediate medical attention after a car accident, do not hesitate to call 911 or get to an emergency room. Some might try to avoid their emergency room because they don’t know how much it will cost, but there are personal injury protection policies (PIPs) that make sure you and your insurance provider won’t have issues when it’s time to settle the bill.

Many people tend to downplay their injuries because they don’t want to make a big deal about the pain they’re experiencing. But you can’t do this after a car accident because these can affect your body and mental health. After a car accident, if you feel you need to see a doctor, get to one immediately. The rest can wait.

Don’t Wait to See a Doctor

Waiting to see a doctor is detrimental to your health and your car accident claim. Car accident injuries aren’t always apparent right after the crash. You can go into shock, which prevents you from feeling the symptoms of your injuries. You may think that nothing is wrong, but this doesn’t mean that you didn’t sustain injuries. Going back to work and ignoring symptoms could allow your injuries to worsen. When you do get to the doctor, your recovery will probably take longer because you waited.

Waiting could mean you don’t get full compensation for your car accident claim. You’re supposed to get to the doctor as soon as possible so they can give you a medical evaluation and start treating your injures. The sooner you get to the doctor, the sooner you can start the recovery process. While you may feel pressure to get back to work, you should discuss going back to work with your doctor first. Returning to work too early could have adverse effects on your health and could potentially cause chronic problems.

After seeing your general practitioner (GP) after following up after the emergency room, be sure to ask about any other specialists you need to see. Your doctor may suggest you visit an orthopedic doctor, for example, for back or neck injuries, or even a chiropractor or physical therapist for continued care.

It’s common for people to worry about insurance when they’re going to the doctor. Your attorney may be able to help you find health care providers that your insurance will cover. They may also know about specialists who will accept your insurance should you need to visit another doctor or continue with rehabilitation for your recovery.