There is good news for victims of negligence who have been unable to obtain the financial award they deserve—injured Missourians may be eligible for compensation from the Missouri Tort Victims’ Compensation Fund.
Our team of personal injury attorneys at Thomas Law Offices is currently helping clients obtain compensation through this vital, yet often overlooked, state-funded resource.
What Is the Missouri Tort Victims’ Compensation Fund?
The Missouri Tort Victims’ Compensation Fund was established through state legislation to provide compensation to those who were injured by negligence or recklessness, but who have not been able to recover full compensation because:
- The at-fault party was uninsured,
- The at-fault party did not have enough insurance to cover damages,
- The at-fault party filed for bankruptcy, or
- Another valid reason prevented the victim from recovering compensation.
Victims of motor vehicle accidents, pedestrian accidents, slip and fall accidents, hunting accidents, canine attacks, and other situations involving the negligent or reckless behavior of another may be qualified to apply for compensation through the Fund.
Although the Missouri Tort Victims’ Compensation Fund was established in 1987, it received very limited funding until recent years. But since a successful lawsuit against Johnson & Johnson allocated $480,000,000 to the Victims’ Fund, more money has been available to aid Missouri residents who were injured by the recklessness, negligence, and wrongdoing of others.
In 2019, the Missouri state government awarded a total of $4.697M to eligible Fund applicants.
How Do I Know if I’m Eligible for Compensation From the Missouri Victims’ Fund?
If eligible, you may be entitled to seek compensation through the Fund of up to $300,000. In order to qualify, the Missouri Department of Labor and Industrial Relations specifies that you must meet the following requirements:
- The injury must have occurred in Missouri
- You must be an individual (not a corporation, partnership, or commercial entity)
- You must not have been on house arrest or in a jail, prison, or correctional facility at the time of the injury
- You must not have been found guilty of two felonies within 10 years of the injury
- You must not have already obtained full compensation through a legal or insurance claim
How Can I Apply for Compensation Through the Tort Victims’ Fund?
If you believe you may meet the requirements for obtaining compensation through the Missouri Victims’ Fund, contact Thomas Law Offices. We will carefully review the details of your case to determine eligibility, and guide you through the process of financial recovery if you qualify.
Time is limited, so don’t wait. A personal injury lawyer from the Columbia, Missouri location of Thomas Law Offices is ready to help you finally achieve the justice you deserve.
What Is Breach of Duty?