The parents of a 15-year-old electric shock drowning victim are speaking out in an attempt to warn others and bring awareness to this rarely reported phenomenon. Carmen Johnson was swimming near her family’s Alabama lake house in April of 2016, when electric current traveled from a light switch on the dock, through the water, and paralyzed her body.
Carmen and her friend were jumping into the water from the top level of the boat dock. Her father, Jimmy Johnson, lowered a metal ladder into the water so the girls could climb out. Just minutes later, he heard his daughter’s friend scream for help. He jumped into the water and immediately felt the piercing electric shocks.