Have You Been Injured? We're Ready to Fight for You.

How Does Petitioning the Court for Your Driver’s License Work?

Published on Jan 31, 2019 by Thomas Law Offices.

If you’ve received notice a of driver’s license suspension, you’re not alone. Many people lose their driving privileges for both minor and major offenses. At Thomas Law Offices, we understand people make mistakes, which is why we’re dedicated to working with clients who are looking to have their driving privileges restored.

If your driver’s license has been suspended or revoked for a period of five or ten years, you have the right to petition the court to reinstate it. Depending on your circumstances, there are different ways to go about this.

Common Reasons for License Suspension

There are a number of reasons a driver could have their driver’s licenses suspended or revoked. Let’s take a look at the most common situations.

  • Point Accumulation. In Missouri, if you accumulate eight points in 18 months, your driving privileges will be suspended. A first suspension is 30 days, a second is 60 days, and a third is 90 days. If a driver accumulates 12 points in 12 months, 18 points in 24 months, or 24 points in 36 months, the driver will lose their license for a year and be required to retake the driver exam. Points can accumulate through things like speeding, reckless driving, or ignoring traffic laws.
  • Habitual Offenses. If a driver is found to be repeating violations, like speeding, they could lose their license for a significant period of time.
  • Serious Violations/Convictions. Serious offenses that lead to license suspension include driving under the influence (DUI), driving while intoxicated (DWI), felonies, vehicular manslaughter or homicide, leaving the scene of an accident (hit-and-run), and fleeing or evading law enforcement.
  • Inaccurate Driving Record. It’s important to periodically check your driving record to ensure it reflects true information. Ignored inaccurate information can result in suspension.
  • No Insurance. A driver who is caught without auto insurance or even proof of auto insurance could lose their license for a period of time.

If you find yourself to be in a different situation than what we’ve discussed, that does not mean you do not have legal options. Our lawyers will be able to determine what your rights are.

License Reinstatement Requirements

According to the Missouri Department of Revenue, if your license has been revoked for a period of five or ten years you have the right to file a petition to request that the court reinstate it. This is referred to as “court-ordered license reinstatement.”

Your attorney can help you file the petition in the country where you obtained the offense that took your license away. After this, you will need to get a Criminal History Check. This requires a four-digital fingerprint registration number. After you’ve obtained that, you can register with the Missouri Automated Criminal History Site (MACHS) so that the Criminal History Check can be performed.

Following these steps with the help of an attorney gives you the best chance of reobtaining your driver’s license.

Obtaining Limited Driving Privileges

If you find that you are not eligible for reinstatement, but you need to drive for something important like employment, you may be eligible for a Limited Driving Privilege (LDP), i.e. a “hardship license.” If the LDP is granted, you will be able to operate a motor vehicle under pre-approved situations. Keep in mind, this type of license cannot be obtained for a commercial motor vehicle.

There are two ways to apply for an LDP, depending on your circumstances. If your license has been revoked for a period of fewer than five years, you can submit an application to the Department of Revenue. If your license has been revoked for five or ten years, you will need to file a petition with the circuit court in the county where you work or live.

To file the petition, considering seeking legal advice first. Then, complete the following:

  • Pay the filing fees and court costs
  • Ensure you have an SR-22 form on record
  • If you have more than one alcohol offense and you have an active Chemical Revocation on your driving record, you must submit proof of an installed Ignition Interlock Device (IID)
  • If you are granted an LDP, you will be given an Order Granting Limited Driving Privilege, which will act as your driving document

If you’ve had your license suspended, it’s important to remember you have legal options. Our office can work with you to determine how best to proceed. While we cannot guarantee success, working with experienced attorneys can improve your chances of having your license reinstated. For more information, get in touch with us

Free Case Evaluation

At Thomas Law Offices, our personal injury attorneys recognize that our potential clients are likely going through some of the most difficult times of their lives. We don't want you to have to worry about paying out of pocket for legal advice when you're just starting to learn your legal rights and options. That's why we provide free case evaluations. We'll offer our expert advice about your potential case and walk you through how we can help you.

Call us or fill out the form below to tell us about your potential case and a personal injury lawyer will get back to you as quickly as possible.

Meet Our Founder

Tad Thomas - Trial Lawyer

Tad Thomas

Managing Partner

Tad Thomas has dedicated his practice to representing plaintiffs in various types of civil litigation, including personal injury, business litigation, class actions, and multi-district litigation.

After graduating with his law degree in 2000 from Salmon P. Chase College of Law at Northern Kentucky University, Mr. Thomas immediately opened his own private practice and began representing injury victims.

In 2011, Thomas Law Offices was established in Louisville, Kentucky. Over the past decade, Mr. Thomas has expanded his firm and now has offices in three additional locations: Cincinnati, Ohio, Columbia, Missouri, and Chicago, Illinois. He is also a frequent lecturer on topics like trial skills and ethics and technology.

Legal & Firm News

Where Do Car Accidents Happen Most Often in Chicago?

As someone who lives in or has traveled through Chicago, you likely don’t need any reminding of how congested our city’s roadways are. This heavy traffic often leads to collisions, which cause motorists to suffer serious injuries and lose their lives. While you’re likely aware of where some of our city’s crash-prone roadways are if […]

Read More

Learn How to Protect Your Loved Ones with My Nursing Home Abuse Guide

Thomas Law Offices has over a decade of experience helping families seek justice on behalf of loved ones who have been abused, neglected, or otherwise harmed in nursing homes and long-term care facilities around the nation. Tad Thomas himself has spoken multiple times on live TV about the work our firm does and the changes […]

Read More

One Year Since Old National Bank Shooting, Co-Counsel Representing Survivors, Families Release Statement

LOUISVILLE, KY – Today, Thomas Law Offices, Everytown Law, and Romanucci & Blandin, who together represent survivors as well as families who lost loved ones in the mass shooting at Old National Bank in Louisville on April 10, 2023, released the following statement: “April 10th marks one year since the tragic mass shooting at the […]

Read More
Tad Thomas on The National Crime Victim Bar Association
National Civil Justice Institute - Trustee
Tad Thomas on Lawyer Minds
Tad Thomas on American Association for Justice
Southern Trial Lawyers Association
Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
Ohio Association for Justice
Kentucky Justice Association
Fellows of the Litigation Counsel of America
Martindale Hubbell Preeminent
2021 Public Justice Member
AAJ Masters of Trial Law: Champion