Tractor-trailers haul goods and services to and through Owensboro every day. While most trips go as planned, this isn’t always the case. If you’ve been involved in a crash, you’ll benefit from getting in touch with an Owensboro, KY truck accident lawyer from Thomas Law Offices.
Depending on the circumstances that resulted in your accident, you may be able to pursue a claim to seek a monetary award for your losses. Our attorneys can evaluate your situation and determine how best to proceed. When we conduct our investigation, we’ll focus on proving fault and valuing your case.
Truck Accidents in Owensboro
With Interstate 81 running through Owensboro, the area is no stranger to tractor-trailers. While most pass through without incident, there are times when accidents occur. For example, a 10-year-old boy from Owensboro was killed in a crash only 30 minutes outside of the city after the vehicle he was in ran into the back of a 2019 International tractor-trailer.
If your family’s lives have been affected by a crash, you deserve the best possible chance at recovery. We might not be able to change what happened, but we can take the steps needed to ensure you have access to the compensation need to take care of medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Types of Tractor-Trailer Accidents
The type of wreck you’re in can tell your lawyer a lot about how and why it happened. Some of the most common types of truck accidents include:
- Blind Spot Accidents. Large trucks have blind spots on all four sides. Because of this, it’s safest to drive behind a tractor-trailer at a distance. Never tailgate a truck or pass one on the right. If you need to pass on the left, ensure you can do so safely and efficiently, as you don’t want to linger near the truck long. When a trucker can’t see the vehicles around them, it’s easy for an accident to occur.
- Jackknife Wrecks. When a big rig takes a turn too quickly or hits a patch of ice, there’s a chance the vehicle will jackknife. This means the trailer will extend out past the cab in an “L” or “V” shape. If a truck is on a highway, multiple vehicles could be involved in the crash.
- Lost Load. The goods and services commercial vehicles carry vary considerably. No matter what a truck is hauling, the load needs to be secured. When it’s not, there’s the risk it could fall off and strike other vehicles or cause a driver to swerve.
- Rollovers. Because of their size, semi-trucks have a higher center of gravity. This means that it’s easier for the large vehicles to lose balance and roll over—especially if the cargo isn’t balanced correctly. Rollovers can result in multi-vehicle crashes, particularly on highways and interstates.
- Tire Blowout. Just based on the term 18-wheeler, you know tractor-trailers have a lot of wheels. Every tire needs to be appropriately maintained. If it’s not, a blowout could happen. When a tire shreds off of a truck, the surrounding vehicles could be at risk of getting hit.
- Underride/Override Accidents. Underride and override accidents are among the deadliest types of crashes. An underride accident occurs when a smaller vehicle strikes the back of a truck and gets stuck. An override happens when a tractor-trailer is unable to brake or slow and drives over the top of the vehicle in front of them.
The type of accident you’re in will have an impact on your injuries, your recovery, and your case’s validity. Fortunately, our Owensboro truck accident attorneys have extensive experience handling this type of personal injury claim.
Dealing With Injuries After a Semi Wreck
In the moments following a truck accident, the actions you take could significantly impact your future. No matter what you’re feeling, it’s essential to seek medical treatment so you can undergo a proper evaluation. Not all injuries are painful, and some take type to develop. Because of that, you’ll want to be sure you have an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.
Some injuries are more obvious than others. Truck accident victims often find themselves coping with broken bones that require a cast or surgery. However, injuries like whiplash are often invisible but can cause significant and lasting pain—especially in the neck and upper body.
When you file a claim with the help of an Owensboro lawyer, they’ll consider your injuries when valuing your claim—including what they have and will continue to cost you.
Contact an Attorney in Owensboro, KY
It only takes mere seconds for a crash to completely upend your life. If you’ve been involved in an accident with a large commercial vehicle, determining how to proceed and who to hold accountable can be challenging. Fortunately, an Owensboro, KY truck accident lawyer from Thomas Law Offices can help.
When you seek legal representation from our firm, we’ll guide you through the claims process and ensure you understand your legal rights and options. In most cases, claims like this settle through negotiations, but we won’t hesitate to take your case to court if that’s the only way to get full and fair compensation.
To learn more about filing a claim or to get started, contact our office today to schedule a free case evaluation.