As your family members and loved ones age, you do everything in your power to keep them healthy, happy, and safe. When you can no longer care for them yourself, sometimes you need help protecting your elderly loved ones in Louisville, KY. This requires making the difficult decision to place loved ones in a nursing home, long term care facility, or assisted living environment. One of the most difficult parts about making this decision is learning how to trust the facility to properly care for your loved ones. As much as we hope that the medical professionals and staff members caring for our family members will do an excellent job, cases of elderly abuse and neglect do unfortunately happen.
The statistics don’t lie. In 2010, over 7,000 cases of abuse and neglect were conducted in the state of Kentucky alone. Of the 1,859 cases that resulted in probable abuse, only 316 led to criminal charges being filed. The unfortunate truth is that many nursing home residents and family members don’t realize their rights when it comes to neglect and abuses cases. The facility staff members who are responsible are subject to criminal charges, but first a case must be opened.
Charges aren’t always filed when they should be due to the simple fact that it can be difficult to pinpoint the signs of abuse or neglect when you can’t always be there for your loved one. Evidence can be hard to produce, and even physical signs of abuse can be hidden or dismissed by staff members when questioned. It becomes integral to know the signs of all types of abuse—physical, emotional, sexual, and financial—as well as how a family member can protect a loved one from being a potential victim of abuse.
If you’re considering long term care options for a parent, spouse, or friend/family member, one of the most important things you can do is thoroughly research every facility you’re considering. Knowledge is power, and by knowing the facility intimately, you can help your loved one stay safe and receive the best care possible. Protecting your elderly loved ones in Louisville, KY by being aware of Kentucky’s nursing home resident rights is also important. Never ignore the fine print on any contracts you sign. This is where information on these rights tends to be located.
For residents of Kentucky, one of the most valuable free resources you can obtain is the 100% free “Protecting Your Elderly Loved Ones” eBook which was written by Tad Thomas, a Louisville nursing home abuse and personal injury attorney who has been an advocate for the health and safety of seniors across the country throughout his entire successful career. In it, you can find detailed information on the following subjects:
- A detailed explanation of Kentucky’s current Nursing Home Bill of Rights which protects all long term care facility residents within the state of Kentucky
- Information and statistics on nursing home abuse and neglect specific to Kentucky
- Information on the various forms of elder abuse as well as the physical and mental signs of each type of abuse (including drug-related abuse)
- Detailed tips and suggestions to help you protect your family members from harm while they’re in a long term care facility
- Tips and suggestions to help you choose a long term care facility, nursing home, or assisted living environment that will best suit the needs of your loved one as well as ensure their health and safety
- Resources and links for the rankings of Kentucky nursing homes based on health inspection results, quality of medical care, and staff numbers
- Detailed, current information on how to go about reporting nursing home abuse or neglect, open a case, and collect any evidence needed to open a case
- Resources, phone numbers, and links to contact every agency and legal group in Kentucky that can provide advice, assistance, and immediate aid in helping you and your loved one if abuse or neglect is suspected
Protecting Your Elderly Loved Ones is available free to download without any cumbersome registration requirements. All you need to do is fill in the simple request form to receive the instructions on how to download the eBook. These instructions will be emailed to you for your convenience.
Tad Thomas wrote the book with the goal of assisting family members of elderly long term care facility residents in Kentucky who might be unaware of just how dangerous—and surprisingly commonplace—nursing home abuse is. Protecting your elderly loved ones in Louisville, KY requires educating yourself about the realities of abuse cases and doing everything you can to ensure the chosen facility cares as much about your loved one as you do. For those currently suspecting neglect or abuse, Protecting Your Elderly Loved Ones is a valuable resource to find out where to turn and how to receive help.
Making the decision to place a parent or loved one in a long term care facility can be one of the most difficult decisions you may ever make. You owe it to yourself and your family to go the extra mile to keep them as safe as you can. Furthermore, if you or someone you love has been neglected or abused in a long term care facility, your family deserves peace of mind as well as legal and financial compensation. Learn the facts by picking up your free copy of Protecting Your Elderly Loved Ones today.