Construction workers are exposed to all kinds of dangerous situations on the job every day. Even though safety is a priority on job sites, and there are positions to ensure safe procedures are being followed at all times, accidents still happen. When you’re injured in a construction accident that could have been prevented and was caused by someone else’s negligence, you shouldn’t be responsible for paying for your medical bills, time off work, or any other costs that the injury causes.
A Kansas City construction accident lawyer can assist you with your claim against the party responsible for your injury. Making a claim on your own can be intimidating and hard to navigate because you could be going up against a big company. With our help, you can have peace of mind knowing that we have experience dealing with construction accident claims and know how to get you the justice you deserve from whoever caused your injury, no matter how big of an entity they are.
What Should You Do After a Construction Accident?
Construction sites can be dangerous. If an accident happens while you’re on a job site that was the direct result of the negligence of another person, and it causes you to be injured, you might feel confused and not know the proper steps to take immediately after your injury. When you don’t expect an accident to happen to you, you might not be prepared for what to do after one happens.
Here are the actions you should take immediately following a construction accident so that you have the best chances at filing a strong claim that recovers full and fair compensation:
- Tell your employer what happened. It’s important to let your employer know what happened to you on the construction site so that they can file a report about the incident. Without a report, you can’t build a claim later. Try to remain as neutral and focused on fact when you recount the event so that that the report is as unbiased as possible. A biased report most likely won’t favor you later on in front of a judge.
- Document the scene. It could help you later if you document the scene as best as you can on your own. Write a well-detailed account of what happened, take pictures, and date and timestamp if you can. This makes your account more credible and gives a more detailed picture of what happened.
- Seek medical attention. If you know you were injured in the accident, or even if you don’t think you were hurt, it’s important that you are examined by a medical professional right away. A doctor can diagnose your injuries and create a treatment plan for you to follow so that you can heal. This way, you have proof of your injury and that it happened directly after the accident while on the construction site.
- Follow your treatment plan. Not listening to your doctors, canceling appointments, or downplaying your injuries could give your employer the idea that you’re not as injured as you say you are in your claim.
- Hire a lawyer. Having a Kansas City construction accident attorney by your side throughout this process will enable you to focus on healing from your injuries while we handle the legal side of things. You deserve financial compensation for your physical and emotional injuries, and we will seek that for you so that you can relax.
Common Construction Accidents
Now that you know the steps to follow when a construction accident happens, it would benefit you to know what accidents commonly happen on construction sites so that you can recognize them when they happen. Awareness might also help prevent accidents because knowing what could happen could inspire more caution on the job site.
Here are some of the most dangerous accidents that happen on construction sites, even though safety is usually the main priority of everyone on the site, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA):
- Slip and falls
- Hit by an object
- Caught in between
These are known as the fatal four accidents for construction workers, as they are the main contributors to the deaths of workers on construction sites. These four types of accidents alone are responsible for over half of the deaths of workers on a job site; so by bringing awareness, hopefully every person on the site can work together to prevent these from happening.
Hire a Kansas City Construction Accident Lawyer
At Thomas Law Offices, we know how difficult it can be to cope after suffering an injury from a construction accident. That’s why hiring our experienced construction accident attorney would benefit you in filing your injury claim in Kansas City, MO. Our expertise mixed with great care will help you feel confident and supported throughout the legal process and will allow you to focus on healing while we focus on the legal details. Reach out to us today so that we can help you recover the financial compensation you deserve for your injuries.