Missouri roads are home to bicyclists, motorcyclists, regular sized vehicles, semi trucks, and tractor trailers. Many drivers tend to get nervous around semi trucks even though they don’t have a trailer attached because their size and weight are much larger than regular sized vehicles. The cabs can still cause catastrophic accidents with passenger vehicles. When that happens, you could use the help of a Columbia, MO semi truck accident lawyer from Thomas Law Offices.
Our legal team will fully investigate what happened in your collision and will look at even the smallest details. This will help us build you the strongest claim possible so you can get full and fair compensation for your injuries and other damages. Let’s take a look at what you should do after a semi truck accident so you can be as safe as possible and we can build you a strong case.
What to Do After a Semi Truck Accident
After a semi truck collides with you in your car, on your motorcycle, or on a bicycle, there are some actions you should take to ensure that you get the help that you need. The accident likely caused damage to your motor vehicle and bodily injuries to you and any of your passengers, so it’s important to get emergency personnel on the scene as quickly as possible.
Here are the steps you should take immediately after your semi truck accident:
- Assess yourself for injuries. Once you’ve stopped moving and it seems like the collision is over, you should assess yourself to see if you have any injuries or are able to safely move. If possible, try to move your car to the side of the road, but if you see any smoke or fire coming from your engine, turn the car off and get out of your car as quickly as possible. Knowing if you or any other passengers are injured will help you in your call to 911.
- Call 911. In order to ensure paramedics and police arrive on the scene, it’s important to call 911. In this call, you should give a brief description of what happened, where you are, and if any people seem to be seriously injured. Avoid giving any opinions of what happened or including any information that you are not sure of. Stick to the facts.
- Speak with the police. When you speak to the police for their report, the same rules apply as the 911 call—stick to the facts and avoid including any information that you’re not sure of. If you include something that you’re not sure of or an opinion of who was at fault and they turn out to be wrong, then you could be considered an unreliable witness, which could hurt you later in your semi truck accident claim. Also avoid apologizing, as that could make you seem liable for the accident.
- Exchange information with the other driver. In order to make an insurance claim and potentially a semi truck accident claim later, you’ll need to exchange some information with the truck driver and any other drivers involved. Some information you’ll need from them is their name, employer, truck information, insurance information, phone number, and address. Make sure not to apologize during this exchange.
- Talk to witnesses. Getting witness information can be helpful for your lawyer later if you decide to file a legal claim. They can report what they saw and help the police as well as determine what happened and who was at fault for the accident.
- Seek medical attention. Paramedics on the scene will be able to assess you for injuries and tell you if you need further medical attention. No matter what, you should go to the hospital for another evaluation so you can be further examined for more injuries and so you can get documentation of any injuries and costs for your treatment.
- Hire a lawyer. After all of this, you might decide that you want to file a semi truck accident claim against the truck driver who caused your accident. A Columbia, MO semi truck accident lawyer from Thomas Law Offices can help you gather all of the information you’ll need to prove who was liable for the accident and calculate a fair compensation amount for all of your injuries and damages.
Contact Thomas Law Offices for Legal Representation
When you need a semi truck accident lawyer to represent you, Thomas Law Offices can offer you the support you need in your claim. After a semi truck accident, or any other type of truck accident, you could be suffering from serious physical and emotional injuries as well as immense property damage.
We understand that filing a legal claim can be intimidating, but that’s why our semi truck accident lawyers in Columbia, MO, are here to help you. Contact us today so that we can discuss your potential claim and get started right away.