Choosing a nursing home for your loved one can seem like a daunting task, even with all of the research available to you. Once you’ve chosen a facility, you expect staff members to provide your loved one with quality care. When that doesn’t happen, whether intentional or unintentional, the facility and at-fault employees should be held accountable. That’s where a Calumet City, IL nursing home abuse lawyer can help.
If you believe your loved one has been abused or neglected in their elder care home, our attorneys can explain their legal options to your family and ensure proper actions are taken to help them recover as fully as possible, and find a facility that will provide them with proper care. Let’s take a look at the nursing home facilities around Calumet City.
Long-Term Care Facilities in Calumet City
While there are no facilities located directly in Calumet City, there are ten nursing homes within a five-mile radius. According to Medicare, those facilities include the following:
- Bria of River Oaks. With a two-star overall rating, Bria of River Oaks has been cited for abuse. In addition to that, the facility has been cited eight times for issues with fire safety inspections. The average in Illinois is 4.9.
- Countryside Nursing & Rehab Center. The Countryside Nursing & Rehab Center has also been cited for abuse but has only a one-star rating. In the last three years, the facility was cited with a federal fine for over $16,000. Medicare has also denied payments because of the history of abuse. In regard to fire safety inspection citations, the facility received 10 in 2019.
- South Holland Manor Health & Rehab. With an average three-star rating, South Holland Manor Health & Rehab provides adequate care to its residents. It has 216 certified beds and participates in Medicare and Medicaid.
- Aperion Care Dolton. While Aperion Care Dolton has not been cited for abuse or neglect, the facility only has a one-star rating. Breaking that rating down, they have a two-star rating for health inspections and quality of resident care and a one-star rating for staffing.
- Tri-State Village Nursing & Rehab. With 84 beds and funding from Medicare and Medicaid, the Tri-State village Nursing & Rehab only has a one-star rating. The facility is for-profit and owned by the Limited Liability company.
- Lake County Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. With only one star, the Lake County Nursing and Rehabilitation Center has documented issues with health inspections and staffing.
- Munster Med-Inn. The Munster Med-Inn houses 225 residents and participates in Medicare and Medicaid. Its rating, however, is poor at only one star.
- The Villa at South Holland. The Villa at South Holland also only has a one-star rating. It has had the most issues with staffing.
- Prairie Oasis. Prairie Oasis has a two-star rating and 135 certified beds. The for-profit facility is individually owned.
- Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village. The Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village is the only facility near Calumet City that has a five-star rating. It provides top-quality care for residents and has average staffing and average health inspection reports.
No matter where your loved one resides, they deserve to receive quality care and have their needs met physically, emotionally, mentally, and socially. If your loved one is being abused or neglected in any way, a Calumet City attorney can help.
Recognizing Abuse and Neglect in Nursing Homes
Elder abuse comes in different types, including physical, emotional, sexual, and financial. It can be challenging to determine if your loved one is being harmed, especially if they do not have the mental capacity to report issues themselves.
Common signs your loved one is being mistreated in a long-term care facility include unexplained injuries, signs of restraint, unusual behavior, unexplained STDs, unsafe living conditions, bedsores, weight loss or dehydration, missing funds, changes in power of attorney, and living in soiled bedding or clothing.
If you witness any of those signs or something else you think is strange, you can seek answers from the facility, as well as report the potential abuse or neglect to the state. Depending on the facility’s response and the injuries you’re loved one has incurred, you may want to consider reaching out to an experienced attorney from Thomas Law Offices.
Get Help From Thomas Law Offices
If your loved one has been injured or abused in their nursing home, you have the right to take legal action on their behalf. Doing so could ensure they have the means to recover as fully as possible. If you choose to pursue a claim, your best option is to do so with the help of a Calumet City nursing home abuse lawyer from Thomas Law Offices.
Our attorneys are well-versed in Illinois nursing home laws and will fight on your family’s behalf to ensure your loved one is protected, and the negligent facility is held accountable for its actions. To learn more about filing a claim, contact our law firm today.