Many caregivers mistakenly assume that there is no risk of accidental drowning in swimming pools once the summer ends. Unfortunately, indoor pools also pose a threat for children of all ages. Children that take swim classes, participate in school-mandated swimming activities and use the indoor pools of hotels and resorts are at just as much risk as children in the summer. These are just some of the risks of using indoor swimming pools:
- Slips and falls caused by walking and running on wet surfaces;
- Head injuries caused by diving accidents and falls on hard surfaces;
- Spinal cord injuries caused by diving accidents; and
- Accidental drowning.
Additionally, research indicates that chlorine gases can trigger wheezing and asthma attacks in children who swim indoors.
Parents should take several precautions when allowing their children to use indoor pools.
- Keep a first aid kit near the pool in case of emergency.
- Never take your eyes off a child in the pool. It only takes seconds for a child to get into a dangerous situation.
- Ensure the owner of the pool uses gates with safety latches to prevent children from accessing a pool without adult supervision.
- Inspect the pool to identify any safety hazards. If you notice any, let the owner of the pool know right away. Do not allow a child to swim in a pool with an existing hazard.
- If you plan to stay in a hotel with a pool, ask to stay on a different floor than the one the pool is located on. If a child leaves the room without permission, this will reduce the risk of unauthorized access to the pool.
Even when parents take as many safety precautions as possible, they can’t control the actions of others. Some indoor pool owners do not maintain their pools properly, creating safety hazards for everyone. If your child suffered injuries due to an indoor pool accident, you may need legal help to recover the compensation you need to pay medical expenses and rehabilitation costs.
Attorney Tad Thomas has a track record of success in handling Louisville personal injury cases. Thomas has also been chosen as one of Louisville’s top lawyers by Louisville Magazine.