When you’re driving in Kansas City, you know that it’s important to remain alert in case anything happens on the road. Safe and cautious driving helps reduce the chances of an accident happening. However, sometimes drivers are more preoccupied with other things than driving safely. In these instances, they can cause an accident that results in a serious injury. When you’re dealing with the injuries and other losses of an auto accident, know that you can seek justice with a Kansas City car accident lawyer.
Thomas Law Offices has skilled attorneys who will stand by your side throughout the legal process. We know this time can be uncertain and the legal process can be confusing to go through alone. We’ll fight for your rights and seek to maximize your compensation so you can recover in peace.
How Common Are Car Accidents in Kansas City?
In 2017, Missouri released a Highway Safety & Performance Plan. It stated that between 2012-2014, Kansas City had the highest amount of fatal traffic crashes in the state with 164 crashes, or 19% of the state’s fatal crashes. Kansas City also had the highest serious injury crashes with 839, or 14.2% of the serious injury crashes.
With focuses on seat belt use, rumble strips, reduction in intoxicated drivers, and improving roadway visibility, the state of Missouri is taking efforts to make the roads safer for drivers. However, while many safety measures can protect those on the road, it only takes one driver to make a negligent decision that can result in a devastating accident that injures you. Let’s go over how drivers can exhibit negligence.
How Does Negligence Behind the Wheel Cause Devastating Injuries?
A driver can exhibit negligence in many ways. These actions typically reduce the driver’s control of the vehicle and increase the likelihood of an accident occurring. Some of the common ways drivers act negligently include the following:
- Distracted Driving. Anything that prevents a driver’s eyes from being on the road, hands on the wheel, and mind on driving is a distraction. Cell phones, food, and reaching for objects in the car are all distractions that increase the chances of an accident occurring.
- Drunk Driving. Alcohol impairs a driver so they cannot operate the vehicle safely. They may swerve out of their lane, go well above or below the speed limit, or strike a fixed object. If a drunk driver has harmed you or a loved one, our Kansas City personal injury lawyer will help you hold the driver accountable for their actions.
- Fatigued Driving. When drivers are focused solely on getting to their destination as quickly as possible, they may ignore signs of fatigue and exhaustion. A tired driver may not be able to recognize emergency situations or make quick judgments. They could also fall asleep at the wheel.
- Speeding. A driver speeding around traffic around them will have less time to react to situations on the road and will take more time to slow down their vehicle. When a driver crashes at high speeds, the injuries can be more severe.
- Following Too Closely. This can also be referred to as tailgating. A driver who does this may try to get the car in front of them to go faster. This can be dangerous because they’re more focused on intimidating the car in front than keeping a safe distance in case an emergency occurs. If the car in front of them needs to stop suddenly, the driver that’s following too closely will likely hit the rear of the car.
These negligent actions can cause terrible injuries. Whether a driver is looking at their cellphone, speeding, or following too closely, they may hit the vehicle in front of them. Unfortunately, this can cause whiplash to the driver and other occupants to the car in front. The impact makes their head snap back and forth.
Other injuries include traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, internal organ damage, and permanent nerve damage. These debilitating injuries can take a long time to recover, may require surgery, medical equipment, and continued care.
In some cases, these injuries may not fully recover. If you have sustained injuries or have a permanent disability because of a negligent driver, our lawyers are here to help you. It’s important to have experienced representation on your side so you have the best chance of getting the compensation you deserve.
Why Should You Have a Kansas City Car Accident Attorney at Your Side?
Our lawyers can help you gather the evidence necessary for you to build a strong case. One of the most important things you can do after a car accident is to see a doctor as soon as possible. They’ll be able to assess your injuries and determine how the accident hurt you. Your doctor can also begin treating these injuries, which will put you on the road to recovery.
Having the injuries documented show that your symptoms were severe enough to require a visit to the doctor, show that you were harmed, and show you’ll need to treat these injuries. The recovery process could mean needing medication, physical therapy, or other forms of treatment. When your recovery is reflected by your medical bills, your Kansas City car accident lawyer will fight for you to get compensation to cover your medical expenses, lost wages from work, and other financial losses the accident caused you.
Additional losses may include pain and suffering, mental anguish, and loss of enjoyment of life. When you’re dealing with painful injuries, they may prevent you from working or living your life as you did before the accident. If the injury has permanent consequences, you may be dealing with the emotional stress of adjusting to living with the injury. While these losses do not directly relate to a monetary loss like days of missed work, they still resulted from the accident that wasn’t your fault. We’ll make sure to assess your noneconomic losses and keep this in mind when determining your compensation.
Thomas Law Offices Will Fight for Your Rights
When a negligent driver has caused an accident that’s turned your life upside down, you need someone you can turn to. Our lawyers are here to protect your rights and help you hold the other driver responsible for their actions. We’ll do everything we can so you receive compensation that will allow you to recover from the accident. While some cases may reach a settlement, if the other side is offering you less than you deserve, we can take your case to court to get justice.
Give our office a call today so we can begin going over what happened to you and discuss your legal options in a free case evaluation. You’ll have peace of mind knowing you have compassionate and dedicated personal injury lawyers fighting for you.