When someone’s negligence causes your loved one to lose their life, no one can understand the pain and confusion you’re experiencing. One of the hardest things about a wrongful death is that it could have been prevented had the person acted competently. While you can’t undo what happened, you can seek justice for your loved one and your family. A Cincinnati wrongful death lawyer from Thomas Law Offices can offer you the help you need.
Thomas Law Offices is dedicated to providing the best legal services to our clients in Ohio. We understand that you and your family are grieving and how difficult this claim process will be. But we can help alleviate the financial stresses that losing a loved one puts on a family. You’ll be able to mourn your loved one without trying to figure out how you’re going to handle expenses and bills.
How Does Wrongful Death Happen?
Wrongful death can occur in myriad ways. A person can act negligently in their personal and professional life, and their actions can have disastrous consequences.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents. Drivers can include anyone operating a car, truck, or motorcycle. When these people are distracted or speeding, they can collide with others on the road or cyclists and pedestrians.
- Medical Malpractice. When health care providers act negligently, it can be from a doctor misdiagnosing an illness, a surgeon leaving a medical tool inside their patient, or a pharmacist giving a patient the wrong medication. Medical errors can cause fatal injuries to patients.
- Product Liability. Any manufacturer can release a product that becomes dangerous because it has a design or manufacturing flaw, or it has unclear instructions and warnings on its label. Defective products can be any household appliances that have electrical issues or have misleading instructions that puts the person in danger because they’re using the product incorrectly.
- Workplace Accidents. Unsafe working conditions like unbalanced ladders or faulty helmets in construction zones can be fatal to the people who work there. But this could also apply to the majority of people who work in offices. Exposed wires or
You may have a question regarding the nature of how your loved one passed away and if you have grounds for a wrongful death claim. Our team of Cincinnati lawyers is always ready to answer your questions and concerns.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Ohio?
Wrongful death law in Ohio states that certain people can bring a wrongful death claim forward. The administrator or executor of the estate will file the claim and represent the family.
There are specific people who can receive damages from a wrongful death claim in Ohio. It’s typically restricted to the following family members:
The compensation is available to these parties because they are the ones who have suffered emotionally and financially because of their loss.
What Can You Receive with a Wrongful Death Claim?
With an experienced lawyer to help with the claim, the settlement can include the following:
- Funeral and Burial Expenses. Planning an unexpected funeral for a loved one is a painful and emotional thing to do. They can also get expensive. Your compensation can help with these costs.
- Medical Expenses. This will cover expenses if your loved one spent time in the hospital, saw specialists, or were paying for prescriptions to treat their injuries they got from the accident.
- Lost Wages. Your loved one may have spent time in the hospital and away from work and lost those days of pay. You may be able to recover damages to cover that.
- Loss of Earnings. The family can receive compensation for the earnings the deceased would have earned from their lifetime of working.
- Pain and Suffering. This can be for what your loved one experienced but also for the suffering and grieving the family is going through as well.
- Loss of Support. If you ran a household with your loved one, you can also receive damages for losing the emotional and physical support.
Your wrongful death lawyer will calculate the amount that would be a fair compensation for you and your family. They will then do everything to fight for your claim so you can settle and focus on grieving and healing for your loved one.
What Do You Need for an Ohio Wrongful Death Claim?
When filing a wrongful death claim, you need to have the following points for it to be valid.
- Proof of Negligence. You will need to show evidence that the other party acted negligently.
- Negligence Caused a Person’s Death. Then your claim will show that the negligence was the reason why your loved one lost their life. Medical records showing the extent of injuries and eyewitnesses can help proving this point.
- Representative of the Deceased’s Estate. You’ll need a person to represent the deceased to bring the claim forward.
- Surviving Family Members. They can provide evidence of how they’ve suffered from the wrongful and unexpected loss of their loved one.
You also need to file your claim within the statute of limitations. In Ohio, you have two years from the incident of your loved one’s passing to file your claim. While it may be difficult, it’s best to contact a lawyer so you can get started on your case as soon as possible.
Get in Touch with a Cincinnati Wrongful Death Lawyer
No one should lose a loved one unexpectedly because of someone else’s negligence. Those responsible for your loved one’s passing should have to face consequences for their actions. Thomas Law Offices will represent your best interests and give your family and loved one a voice.
Contact us today for a free consultation of your case. You can speak with a wrongful death lawyer about the right course of action for you. We understand that this process may be painful and you have other things on your mind that would make dealing with a wrongful death claim difficult. But we’re here to take the burden off your shoulders and give your family the justice you deserve.