In the seconds before and after an accident, time can seem to stop. Your mind may race to thoughts of your family, work, and what will happen next. If you’ve been injured and your life has been thrown off course, a Naperville, IL personal injury lawyer from Thomas Law Offices can help.
Our attorneys have extensive experience representing accident victims. We’re prepared to evaluate your situation and give you an idea of what steps you can take to aid in your recovery—physically, emotionally, and financially. To get an idea of what the personal injury claims process is like, let’s start by taking a look at the most common types of injury claims.
Types of Compensable Accidents
As a personal injury law firm, we see clients with a variety of claim types. There are, however, certain types of cases that are more common than others. Five of the most common accidents we see include the following:
Auto accidents are often the result of negligent actions like distracted driving, driving under the influence, or disobeying traffic laws or signs. If you find yourself dealing with the aftermath of a crash because of another driver’s decisions, you need help from a Naperville car accident lawyer.
Car crashes can cause physical injuries, emotional trauma, and property damage expenses. You may need to take time off of work to recover, which can make managing your bills even more of a challenge. Fortunately, filing a claim is one of the best ways to go about seeking recovery for your losses.
Truck drivers are responsible for transporting goods and services all across the country. While most trips end as planned, that’s not always the case. Sometimes, negligent actions contribute to accidents that result in severe or catastrophic injuries. If you’ve been in a crash, you need help from a Naperville truck accident lawyer.
Not every accident is the fault of the truck driver. In some instances, the trucking company or vehicle manufacturer may be responsible. If that’s the case, it’s crucial to have a lawyer by your side who has experience proving negligence for a tractor-trailer accident claim.
Instances of medical malpractice can occur at any point in your treatment—from when you first arrive to get a diagnosis to when you’re nearing the end of your treatment and are expected to reach your maximum medical improvement.
If you believe you’ve suffered from a doctor’s negligence, it’s essential to understand what happened and why. Some of the most common mistakes we see clients having to deal with include medication errors, surgical mistakes, and missed diagnoses.
The Naperville medical malpractice lawyers from Thomas Law Offices are experienced and ready to represent you. This litigation area is complicated, so it’s essential to have a strong attorney by your side.
Nursing Home Abuse
When a loved one enters a nursing home, you expect the facility to provide them with the proper care. Unfortunately, that doesn’t always happen. When instances of abuse and neglect occur, injuries are likely. That’s where a Naperville nursing home abuse lawyer comes in.
Nursing home residents who are mistreated may suffer from broken bones, bruises, bedsores, malnutrition, dehydration, and more. Negligent facilities should be held accountable for their actions, which is why filing a claim is so important.
When an accident results in a fatality, the surviving family has the right to pursue a personal injury claim against the allegedly at-fault party. If you’ve lost a loved one in one of the accidents above, or a different type of accident, a Naperville wrongful death lawyer is prepared to come to your aid.
While a wrongful death claim will not bring your loved one back, it could give your family the compensation it needs to move forward together. This way, you won’t have to worry about bills or expenses, and you can take the time you need to mourn your loss.
Other claims our law firms handle include the following:
- Motorcycle accidents
- Birth injuries
- Brain injuries
- Sexual assault
- Spinal cord injuries
- Construction accidents
- Premises liability
- Slip and falls
- Product liability
- Social security disability lawyer
No matter which type of personal injury claim you need to file, our attorneys will be by your side every step of the way. We understand the challenges you’re facing, and we’re prepared to ensure you fully understand your rights.
Understanding the Personal Injury Claim Process
When you get in touch with our attorneys to learn about your rights after an accident, there are certain steps you’ll go through. While we’ll explain these in-depth once we meet, we can offer an overview of them here:
- Initial Consultation. As soon as possible after an accident, it’s important to meet with a lawyer to discuss your legal options. When you schedule a consultation with our law firm, you will discuss your case’s details, and we’ll advise on the best course of action to take.
- Filing Court Documents. If you choose to pursue a personal injury claim, your attorney will file and serve a complaint, along with all of the other required documents. You will be listed as the plaintiff, and the opposing party, the defendant, will have to answer the complaint.
- Discovery. The discovery is a formal evidence-exchange process. Your lawyer will send a list of questions to the defendant. Both sides may also take depositions. This is the time where your lawyer may consult with an accident reconstructionist or medical expert.
- Pretrial Motions and Hearings. The pretrial process can be used to compel the opposing side to provide evidence. It may also be used to file motions that are aimed at resolving a case before it goes to trial.
- Settlement Negotiations. The majority of personal injury claims end here. Your lawyer will negotiate a settlement offer on your behalf. If a settlement does not seem feasible, your next option is to go to trial to seek a verdict from a judge or jury.
- Trial. For a personal injury claim, a trial usually involves two stages. First, the jury will decide if the defendant is liable. If the answer is yes, the jury will determine the amount of damages you’re owed.
We understand that the claim process can seem overwhelming, but we’ll be by your side the entire time.
The City of Naperville
As a western suburb of Chicago, Naperville is a vibrant city that offers acclaimed schools, the best public library system in the country, world-class parks, diverse worship options, and an award-winning hospital.
Whether you live and work in Naperville or you’re just visiting, there’s always something to do. You can see the Naper Settlement, which is an outdoor museum tracing the area’s history as a 19th-century pioneer outpost. There is also the Naperville Riverwalk, which is a network of paths and bridges that curve along the banks of the DuPage River.
Thomas Law Offices is proud to offer legal representation to the residents of Naperville. We understand the struggles associated with recovering from an accident, and we believe injury victims deserve the best chance at recovery.
Learn More From Thomas Law Offices
No matter what type of accident you’ve been involved in, it’s essential to understand your legal rights and options. The Naperville personal injury lawyers from Thomas Law Offices can evaluate your situation and help you determine how best to secure your future and offer you the best chances to make a full recovery. To learn more about the claims process or to get started with yours, contact us today.