There are more than 240 nursing homes in Illinois. If you’re looking for a facility for a family member, you’re likely going to look nearby, so you can keep in touch as often as possible and monitor their condition. If you live in Joliet and believe your loved one has been mistreated or harmed in their facility, legal recourse may be available, and a Joliet nursing home abuse lawyer from Thomas Law Offices can help.
Unfortunately, nursing home residents are often victims of abuse and neglect. Most of the time, instances go unreported for one reason or another. If, however, you are concerned about your loved one’s wellbeing, you can take action, confront the facility, report abuse to the state, and file an injury claim against the facility or employee responsible for harming your loved one. Our attorneys are prepared to guide you through the claims process and help your loved one recover.
Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Facilities in Joliet
Within Joliet city limits, there are nine nursing homes and assisted living facilities. Medicare provides ratings of all registered long-term care facilities on its website through its Care Compare tool. Below, you’ll find information on those nine facilities:
- Sunny Hill Nursing Home of Will County. With a four-star rating from Medicare, Sunny Hill Nursing Home of Will County has mainly seen issues regarding the quality of resident care.
- Spring Creek. Spring Creek has a two-star rating. Its health inspections, staffing, and quality of resident care all fall below average.
- Salem Village Nursing & Rehab. With a one-star rating, Salem Village Nursing & Rehab falls much below average with staff and below average for quality of resident care and health inspections. In the past three years, the facility was denied payment from Medicare once and was cited during fire safety inspections 23 times.
- Symphony of Joliet. Symphony of Joliet also has a one-star rating. In 2019, Medicare refused a payment, and the facility received 16 citations during its fire safety inspection the same year.
- Our Lady of Angels Retirement Home. As the only facility in Joliet with a five-star rating, Our Lady of Angels Retirement Home has much above-average staffing, and above-average health inspections and quality of resident care.
- Parc Joliet. Parc Joliet has a two-star rating for having below-average staffing, health inspections, and quality of resident care.
- Ascension Villa Franciscan. Ascension Villa Franciscan has an above-average staffing rating. Still, the facility has an overall two-star rating for having below-average health inspections and much below-average quality of resident care.
- Joliet Terrace. While Joliet Terrace has much above-average quality of resident care, has average health inspections, and much below-average staffing, resulting in an overall three-star rating.
- Lakeshore Rehab & Healthcare. In the last three years, Lakeshore Rehab & Healthcare received a federal fine of more than $7,000 and was cited six times during its 2019 fire safety inspection. The facility has an overall two-star rating.
No matter where your loved one is housed, you expect the facility to care for them. When injuries occur, you want to know who is at fault. Now, let’s take a look at common perpetrators of nursing home abuse.
Perpetrators of Nursing Home Abuse
Anyone who works in a nursing home can be a potential perpetrator of abuse. Because of that, it’s important to understand who your loved one comes into contact with. A typical care team includes licensed vocational or practical nurses (LVN, LPNs), personal care aides (PCAs), physical therapists (PTs), occupational therapists (OTs), medical social workers (MSWs), and primary care physicians (PCPs). Your loved one may also have a dietician or speech therapist.
Who a long-term care resident comes into contact with will be based on their needs and medical conditions. Depending on the facility and their staffing, your loved one could see the same people all the time, or they could see different people.
If you aren’t aware of who is taking care of your loved one, you can ask the nursing home for log reports to determine who has come into contact with them and who performed which services and needs. This can help you create a paper trail in the event your loved one was mistreated or abused.
Get in Touch With Thomas Law Offices
No matter what type of injury your loved one sustained at their care facility, they deserve the best chance of recovery. At Thomas Law Offices, our attorneys believe negligent facilities should be held accountable for their actions. When you work with a Joliet nursing home abuse lawyer, you’ll be able to help your loved one heal and take again against the facility that hurt them.
We understand how emotionally charged these types of claims can be, which is why we’re here to stand by your side and ensure justice is served. The sooner you get in touch with our law firm, the better your chances will be of receiving a full and fair monetary award for your family. To learn more or get started on your claim, contact us today to schedule a free case evaluation.