Experienced Injury Lawyers
During the COVID-19 Pandemic, we're offering Free Virtual Consultations

Are Escalators or Elevators More Dangerous?

Published on Nov 21, 2019 at 1:25 pm in Premises Liability.

A set of escalators, an elevator, and stairs

Getting people from Point A to Point B in the shortest amount of time possible allows people to get to their destinations more quickly and without strenuous activity. No one wants to climb 40 flights of stairs when they could simply use a machine that will do the job in less time and without the exertion. Two common devices that help with this are escalators and elevators. However, that isn’t to say that escalators and elevators are completely safe. When accidents do happen, they can cause significant injuries to innocent people. While fighting for your rights may not be an easy process, this is how you can move forward from the incident. A Louisville premises liability lawyer from Thomas Law Offices can represent you.

Escalator and Elevator Injuries

You should be aware of the different types of ways that escalators and elevators can cause injuries. If one of them sounds similar to your case, you can bring it up with your lawyer. They may have handled cases like yours before, making them experienced in pursuing those who acted negligently when it comes to escalator and elevator safety. Let’s take a look at how injuries from these devices can arise.

While escalators are commonplace in large shopping areas, sports complexes, and offices, accidents can occur. Emergency departments treat about 10,000 escalator-related injuries in the United States each year. In a study looking into the injuries that come from escalator accidents, they took data from 173 patients with escalator-related injuries. 62% of these injuries happened in public transport facilities. While sometimes intoxication is a factor, people can still have accidents when they’re sober. Hospital treatment was sometimes needed. Of those who went to the hospital, about 45% were able to leave within 24 hours. However, the remaining 55% needed to stay longer than 24 hours.

Elevator accidents have the potential to be life-threatening, even more so to the people who are working to install or fix elevators. There can be an electrical issue that causes electrocution. Sometimes, if an elevator is stuck with people inside it, they can run out of oxygen and asphyxiate. Another main concern in a trapped elevator is when the doors are partially open and people have space to get out and on to the floor. However, there is no guarantee that the elevator will stay fixed. People could get caught as they’re partially in the elevator. Falling elevator cars or falling into an open elevator shaft can also be deadly.

CPRW, The Center for Construction Research and Training, conducted a study on Deaths and Injuries Involving Elevators and Escalators. It showed that elevator constructors had more fatalities from 1992-2009 than construction laborers. Elevator constructors had 83 deaths and construction workers had 43. 110 deaths happened during elevator installation or repair, while working near the elevator caused 107 deaths.

But passengers on elevators and escalators can sustain injuries as well. The data showed the following for injured passengers while not at work from 1997-June 2010:

  • Falls caused 51 elevator deaths and 29 escalator deaths.
  • Situations of being caught in between caused 33 elevator deaths and 9 escalator deaths.
  • In total, there were 91 elevator deaths and 39 escalator deaths.

While it seems that elevators cause more injuries and deaths than escalators, this is no excuse for negligence. When people are responsible for the safety of others, they cannot take shortcuts or ignore problems because they’re difficult to deal with. That’s what leads to serious injuries.

These take significant care and professional attention, not to mention the time it will take for the injuries to heal. This unexpected turn of events is costly and can often keep people from work for an extended amount of time. It’s imperative that victims get the justice they deserve.

How Can Thomas Law Offices Help You?

We’ve always believed in helping those who were wrongfully injured. Determining who is liable for an elevator or escalator accident can be difficult, so you need dependable lawyers at your side. Thomas Law Offices in Louisville will do everything to win you fair compensation so you can recover without worrying about medical expenses.

The process starts with a phone call or email. Reach out to us today and we can start working on your case. We’ll discuss further details in a free consultation and then proceed to gather evidence of what went wrong, how you were hurt, and holding the right people accountable. You can rest assured that we’re looking out for your best interests.