As magical as they may be, we all know the holidays can be stressful. Thomas Law Offices is pleased to present our 2022 edition of The Ultimate Guide to Holiday Fun in Columbia, MO—a list we hope will take just a bit of chaos out of the season.
We’ve compiled some of the best events, local shopping venues, and restaurants to enjoy this holiday season in Columbia, MO. With so much to offer in our city, there are endless ways to support our local communities. Have fun!
Holiday Events Everyone Can Enjoy in Columbia, MO
It’s the most wonderful time of year for community events. Before the season comes to a close, find time in your schedule to participate in a few of these fun and festive happenings going on in the greater Columbia area.
- The Living Windows Festival. Visit The District in downtown Columbia on Dec. 2nd to kick off your holiday shopping in style. Experience a spectacle of live holiday performances put on by local shopkeepers as the windows of their businesses come alive from 6 to 8 p.m. Strolling carolers, elaborate sets and costumes, and fresh-baked holiday cookies make this an event you won’t want to miss. Be sure to return to The District on Dec. 10th for horse-drawn carriage rides—back for the first time in more than a decade!
- Holidays With the Clydesdales at Warm Springs Ranch. If you haven’t met the famous Budweiser Clydesdales, there’s no better time to do it than between Nov. 25th and Dec. 30th this year. All ages can enjoy the rolling lights tour, festive photo ops, and shopping at the seasonally-expanded holiday gift shop.
- The Magic Tree. For most of the year, it’s an unassuming fruit tree in Cherry Hill. But every December since 1995, a mysterious merrymaker named “Will Treelighter” has been transforming a simple shrub into a beloved holiday tradition. The Magic Tree is lit every evening from 5:00-11:00 p.m. from Thanksgiving Eve to Epiphany (Jan. 6th).
- White Christmas at the Macklanburg Playhouse. The talented students of Stephens College will bring to life a yuletide classic on the school’s downtown mainstage theater. Tickets for showings on Dec. 9-11 and Dec. 15-16 are available for purchase through the College’s box office and on Eventbrite.
- The Missouri Symphony Orchestra’s Symphony of Toys. This year’s annual concert will be held Sunday, Dec. 11th at 2:00 p.m. at the Missouri Theater. Accompanying the orchestra will be featured a star-studded cast of guest artists (including The Clauses!). Be sure to bring a toy to support the Marines Toys for Tots program.
- Sip & Shop Holiday Market at Cherry Street Cellar. On Sunday, Nov. 27th from 11:00-4:00, Cherry Street Cellar will bring together a variety of Missouri-based vendors and merchants. Partake in snacks and drinks as you peruse giftable goods from French drinking chocolate to hand-crafted jewelry and more.
- Breakfast With Santa at The Atrium on Tenth. The Atrium on Tenth event venue will be hosting a Breakfast With Santa on Sunday, Dec. 4th from 9:30-12:00. Not just for the kids—holiday photo-taking, cookie decorating, and a well-stocked bar guarantee a good time for all.
Find the Perfect Gift for That Special Someone
Whether that “special someone” is a partner, family member, friend, neighbor, coworker, or yourself, we all need something to make us feel just a little bit jollier this time of year. Before fighting through crowds at the big box stores, check out some of the one-of-a-kind products stocked on the shelves of Columbia’s own independent retailers.
- Southern Provisions. Nestled in the historic charm of Rocheport, Missouri (and equally available online), Southern Provisions offers a curated collection of the finer things from artisans and independent craftspeople around the globe. A must-visit for anyone with a cigar aficionado on their list.
- Poppy Made by Hand. From kitchen commodities to eyeliner, Poppy’s seasonal collections of imaginative gifts put the sparkle in the holidays. If you’re shopping for someone who would rather open a gift they can experience, consider signing your giftee up for a workshop like calligraphy or floral arranging.
- Hillcreek Yarn Shoppe. Another place you can purchase the gift of creativity, Hillcreek Yarn Shoppe offers classes on knitting, dyeing, and heirloom lace knitting. An impressive assortment of natural-dyed yarns, needles, dyes, wool loops, looms, and tools is available for purchase online or in-store. This niche boutique has everything a fiber artist could want for the holidays.
- Bluestem. Bluestem Missouri Crafts sources high-quality works of clay, glass, wood, metal, and fiber by partnering with artists, students, and apprentices across Missouri and eight states in the Midwest. Find gifts for all in the Home & Office, Kitchen & Dining, and Wearables collections.
- Plume. Plume’s “found and made” model features artistic homemade crafts, quippy mugs and t-shirts, gifts for mom and baby, and a Black & Gold collection saluting all things Missouri.
- Columbia Farmers Market. We’re lucky to have a year-round growers and makers market right here in Columbia. Stop by Saturdays this winter to pick up unique, home-grown gifts for everyone on your list. Try luxurious lavender products from Battlefield Lavender, ethically-sourced single origin beans from Fretboard Coffee, or customized artisan woodcraft from Sawdust Studios.
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry in Columbia, Missouri
Those of us local to the area know—from Midwestern fare to international cuisine, we’ve got it all. When friends and relatives come to visit for the holidays, show off the best Columbia has to offer by treating your guests to a meal at one of our finest local restaurants. The variety of quality and taste offered in Columbia makes it easy to support local.
When holiday preparations get the best of you, take time to relax and enjoy a favorite neighborhood spot—or one you just haven’t found the time to try yet. Be sure to check online for hours and availability this season.
- Murry’s Restaurant. An electric menu paired with a jazz club atmosphere featuring live performances five nights a week, Murry’s is one of the best places in Columbia to take any out-of-town music lover.
- Bangkok Gardens. Bright colors, fresh vegetables, and explosive flavors define Bangkok Gardens’ modern-meets-traditional take on Thai fusion dishes.
- Flyover. Known for seasonal, farm-to-table ingredients and an ever-changing menu of regional cuisine, Flyover succeeds in telling the world—through food—that Missouri is more than just a “flyover” state.
- India’s House. Curry, Biryani, Tikka, Samosas, Masala, Paneer…just to name a few. A full menu of classic Indian dishes with an array of vegetarian options and spice levels to suit all palates. Conveniently located on East Broadway near Stephens College.
- CC’s City Broiler. What was once an abandoned bus station in downtown Columbia has now become one of the most well-known steakhouses in the city. Make a reservation if you’re planning to dine in—and be sure to save room for a dessert from the “Girth Control” menu.
- Cafe Berlin. The ultimate brunch location in Columbia, Cafe Berlin partners with local suppliers like Patchwork Family Farms and Three Creeks diversified farms to bring a variety of vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, and Missouri-sourced fare to the table.
- Carlito’s Cabo. Sizzling Mexican and Peruvian dishes bursting with sabor make any meal at Carlito’s Cabo an experience you won’t soon forget. Restaurant staff and owners take pride in offering filling, flavorful meals at reasonable prices, all served up in an atmosphere that will make you feel like family.
- Broadway Diner. If you’re up early and looking to escape the holiday hustle and bustle, sneak away for a rib-sticking breakfast at Columbia’s favorite diner. Don’t forget to try The Stretch!
- Shakespeare’s Pizza. With three locations in Columbia and a reputation that travels far beyond the city, no list of local eateries would be complete without Shakespeare’s. Enjoy a meal where the pies are hot, and the pepperoni are always right side up.
Thomas Law Offices Wishes You a Safe, Happy, and Joyous Holiday Season!
The entire team at Thomas Law Offices sends our warmest wishes for a safe and happy holiday season to all. No matter where or how you spend the upcoming weeks, we wish all health and happiness to you and your loved ones. We look forward to continuing to serve you in 2023!