A four-year-old girl died last week in Portland, Oregon after becoming stricken with E. coli that went undiagnosed for days. The family has hired a lawyer to take action against their local hospital that twice sent the girl home without testing for E. coli.
Stricken after Labor Day
The girl’s family and another family spent Labor Day together. While the source of the E. coli is not yet known, a five-year-old boy who was with their group also has E. coli and is in critical condition at a hospital in Tacoma, Washington. The two children shared a turkey sandwich at a restaurant, and also swam in a pond together – both are possible sources, but experts say the actual source may never be found.
After the four-year-old complained of stomach cramps and had a fever, the family took her to their local hospital on the Oregon Coast, Samaritan North Lincoln Hospital in Lincoln City on Wednesday, Sept. 3. The hospital sent her home that day with a diagnosis of rotavirus, and told the family to take her to a pediatrician for follow-up the next day. The chart notes from the first visit show that the doctor wondered if it was E. coli; they did take a stool sample, but never ordered the E. coli test.