When you get behind the wheel, you expect to get to your intended destination safely and timely. However, when negligent drivers are on the road, this doesn’t always happen.
Intersections are among the most common spots for accidents, especially in Chicago. But why is that?
In this blog, we’ll take a look at why intersections are dangerous, which ones are considered the most hazardous in Chicago, and what you can do to reduce your chances of getting into a crash.
Why Are Intersections Dangerous?
Intersections have specific features you don’t find in other traffic configurations. For example, you could see stop signs, traffic lights, or yield signs depending on the intersection. If there are multiple lanes at each side of the intersection, drivers are more likely to stop suddenly, speed up rapidly, and turn or switch lanes abruptly.
The most common accidents that happen in intersections include rear-end collisions, side-impact collisions, and head-on collisions. This is especially true when drivers fail to obey traffic signals or are distracted by something like their phones.
The injuries can vary depending on how fast the vehicles were traveling before impact and the type of impact. However, some of the most common injuries include broken bones, soft tissue injuries like whiplash, back and spine trauma, brain injuries, and nerve damage.
Dangerous Intersections in Chicago
A collaboration between 1Point21 Interactive and Duncan Law Group of Chicago looked at the traffic crashes. Between 2018 and 2020, there were a total of 328,799 traffic crashes in city limits. Those accidents resulted in 64,754 injuries and 382 deaths.
According to the data the two companies collected, the top five most dangerous intersections in Chicago include the following:
- E 79th Street & S Stony Island Avenue. 196 crashes, 52 injuries, 9 serious injuries
- E 95th Street & S Stony Island Avenue. 160 crashes, 44 injuries, 4 serious injuries
- W Garfield Boulevard & S Wentworth Avenue. 141 crashes, 55 injuries, 6 serious injuries
- W Garfield Boulevard & S Wentworth Avenue. 131 crashes, 42 injuries, 4 serious injuries
- N Michigan Avenue & E Wacker Drive. 125 crashes, 26 injuries, 3 serious injuries
By identifying the most dangerous intersections in Chicago, drivers can take increase precautions in those areas to try to prevent accidents, injuries, and fatalities.
How to Be Safe In Intersections
When drivers know how to maneuver intersections safely, and follow through, the likelihood of getting into a crash reduces significantly. You may think about trying to avoid intersections altogether, but there will come a time when you need to make your way through one. To do so as safely as possible, consider the following tips:
- Pay attention to your surroundings. Keep an eye on the drivers around you. Intersections may have blind spots if there are trees or buildings nearby, so watch out for erratic drivers. It’s also important to keep an eye out for pedestrians attempting to cross the street.
- Monitor your speed. Intersections can cause a lot of stop and go. Remember to maintain your speed and stop before you need to, so you don’t risk rear-ending someone.
- Use your turn signal. When the drivers around you are more aware of your intent, they won’t have to spend time guessing your next move. So whether you’re turning or changing lanes, always use your turn signal. Make sure you use it soon enough that drivers around you have time to plan for the shift in traffic.
- Don’t tailgate. A few feet of space can make a significant difference if you’re trying to avoid an accident. Not only will you reduce the risk of hitting someone in front of you, but you’ll also have the extra feet to buy you extra seconds in the event of an accident.
- Proceed with caution. While there’s always the risk of an accident at an intersection, the most dangerous time is when the light turns yellow. Some drivers attempt to speed through the yield light and end up colliding with traffic from the adjacent side. Understand when you have the right-of-way and when it’s safest to proceed.
Injured in an Accident? Call Thomas Law Offices
If you’ve been injured in an intersection accident in Chicago and are looking for legal representation, Thomas Law Offices can help. Our car accident lawyers are well-versed in all types of wrecks and are prepared to help you determine who to hold accountable and how much you’re owed for your losses and injuries.
The sooner you get in touch with our law firm, the better your chances of making a full recovery. Contact us today to schedule a free case consultation.