Have You Been Injured? We're Ready to Fight for You.

Who Should Treat My Injuries After an Auto Accident?

Published on Feb 17, 2023 by Thomas Law Offices.

Who Should Treat My Injuries After an Auto Accident?

After a car accident, your injuries may be minor—like scrapes or bruises—or much more serious. Severe car accident injuries may even include brain or spinal cord injuries. These more acute and debilitating injuries often require the expertise of a medical specialist, while more moderate to minor injuries may be treated by emergency medical technicians (EMTs) at the scene or by your own doctor later on.

The type of medical treatment you need after a car accident will depend on the type of injuries you suffered.

But knowing who should treat your injuries after an auto accident isn’t always easy to figure out on your own. Keep reading or schedule a free meeting with a Chicago accident attorney to learn what to do after a car accident to maximize your chances of a full recovery.

Which Doctor Is Best for Car Accident Injuries?

Seeking medical attention after a motor vehicle crash is essential. Firstly, it allows you to treat any apparent injuries in a timely manner before your condition worsens or becomes irreversible.

Secondly, it eliminates the possibility that you suffered hidden injuries. These masked injuries—which can include critical injuries like head injuries, organ damage, and internal bleeding—do not always present immediately after a car crash. But they must be treated quickly, or they can become fatal.

A third reason you should seek immediate medical treatment is to make a record of your car accident injuries. If your accident was caused by another driver, the negligent motorist’s insurance company should pay for your medical bills. You’ll need documents to prove the cause, severity, and repercussions of your crash injuries, such as receipts for medical expenses, test results, doctor’s notes, and prescriptions for medication.

Depending on your injuries, you may need to see one or more of these doctors to treat your injuries after an auto accident:

Emergency Room Physician

If your condition is critical, you may be transported to the emergency room (ER) via ambulance. There, you will be attended to by a team of ER doctors, nurses, technicians, and attendants. They have the skill, experience, and resources to diagnose and treat life-threatening conditions. They will refer you to other departments in the hospital if needed.

If you or others were severely injured in a car crash, call 911 right away. EMTs can help make a judgment on the emergency treatment you’ll require. The ER can also be a good option if you are injured at night when other medical facilities are closed.

Urgent Care Doctor

If your injuries don’t require a trip to the ER, you may want to consider visiting an urgent care center to have your car accident injuries examined by a medical professional. Most of these clinic-type facilities have walk-in hours, which can be a good option if your primary care physician (PCP) doesn’t have immediate availability.

A doctor at an urgent care facility will be able to treat your immediate injuries and refer you to another physician or specialist who can treat more specialized cases. For example, if you have broken bones, the urgent care center can treat your wounds, prescribe medication, and refer you to an orthopedic surgeon who can provide more long-term care for your healing fractures.

Primary Care Physician

If your injuries are not critical or debilitating, schedule an appointment with your own doctor. When making your appointment, be sure to inform the office that you have been in a car accident and need a complete physical examination to rule out any serious injuries. Describe any symptoms in detail. Your doctor should be able to see you within the days following your accident. If not, seek care elsewhere.

It’s possible that your PCP will decline to examine you for car accident injuries. This sometimes happens because an office is not prepared to bill through auto insurance policies or because they want to avoid the legal ramifications of treating a car accident victim. Go to the ER or urgent care if you are not able to be seen by your doctor promptly (or at all).


Whether you start your medical treatment in an emergency department, urgent care facility, or your own doctor’s office, it’s possible that you will be referred to a specialist for further testing, treatment, and care. Many doctors will ask a specialist to perform a consultation that can eliminate a certain condition or set the car accident victim on the right path to the appropriate treatment. Seeing a specialist may be the best chance you have for making a full recovery or reaching maximum medical improvement (MMI).

Some of the specialists who may be best suited to treat your injuries after an auto accident include:

  • Trauma surgeons
  • General surgeons
  • Pain management specialists
  • Orthopedic surgeons
  • Neurologists and neurosurgeons
  • Plastic and reconstructive surgeons
  • Burn specialists
  • Physical and rehabilitative therapists
  • Occupational and vocational therapists
  • Chiropractors

Mental Health Care Professional

Car accidents result in more than just physical injuries. Psychological injuries are a common outcome of traumatic car accidents, especially those involving severe injuries or death. Medical care from a mental health professional is often a necessary form of treatment for victims of auto accidents.

If you are experiencing symptoms like anxiety, depression, flashbacks of the accident, nightmares, insomnia, changes in appetite, or other indications of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), be sure to share them with your treating physician—or schedule an appointment with a trusted counselor, therapist, or psychologist.

Do I Need To See a Doctor After a Car Accident?

Yes, it is best to see a doctor after a car accident. If you believe your injuries are minor (or you’re not sure if you were injured at all), you should still allow a medical care provider to examine you after your motor vehicle crash. Even minor injuries like whiplash and mild concussions can cause ongoing problems if not addressed.

Common car accident injuries include:

  • Head and neck injuries (including whiplash)
  • Spinal cord injuries
  • Traumatic brain injuries (including concussions and brain damage)
  • Lacerations (cuts)
  • Broken bones and fractures
  • Organ damage and internal bleeding
  • Burns
  • Soft tissue injuries (including strains, sprains, and tears)
  • Knee and leg injuries
  • Facial injuries

These injuries can range from catastrophic to minor. It can be difficult in the aftermath of an auto collision to know how severe your injuries really are. When adrenaline and other fight-or-flight hormones are pumping through your body, you may not be able to feel the full effects of your physical injury.

You should always call 911 or go to the ER right away if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:

  • Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Dizziness, weakness, or fatigue
  • Trouble walking, standing, or moving parts of your body
  • Vomiting and nausea
  • Chronic pain
  • Deep lacerations or severe burns
  • Uncontrollable bleeding
  • Confusion or memory loss
  • Difficulty staying awake

Get Medical and Legal Help After an Auto Accident

If you were injured in an auto accident, don’t wait. Your first action should be to seek medical attention and get the help you need to make a full physical recovery. Once your health has been prioritized, make an appointment to speak with a legal professional.

At Thomas Law Offices, we provide 100% free case consultations to those seeking legal guidance following a motor vehicle crash in Chicago. Contact our injury law office today to speak with a caring legal advocate about your options for financial and emotional recovery.

Free Case Evaluation

At Thomas Law Offices, our personal injury attorneys recognize that our potential clients are likely going through some of the most difficult times of their lives. We don't want you to have to worry about paying out of pocket for legal advice when you're just starting to learn your legal rights and options. That's why we provide free case evaluations. We'll offer our expert advice about your potential case and walk you through how we can help you.

Call us or fill out the form below to tell us about your potential case and a personal injury lawyer will get back to you as quickly as possible.

Meet Our Founder

Tad Thomas - Trial Lawyer

Tad Thomas

Managing Partner

Tad Thomas has dedicated his practice to representing plaintiffs in various types of civil litigation, including personal injury, business litigation, class actions, and multi-district litigation.

After graduating with his law degree in 2000 from Salmon P. Chase College of Law at Northern Kentucky University, Mr. Thomas immediately opened his own private practice and began representing injury victims.

In 2011, Thomas Law Offices was established in Louisville, Kentucky. Over the past decade, Mr. Thomas has expanded his firm and now has offices in three additional locations: Cincinnati, Ohio, Columbia, Missouri, and Chicago, Illinois. He is also a frequent lecturer on topics like trial skills and ethics and technology.

Legal & Firm News

Illinois Motorcycle Accident Statistics

  Many individuals would never consider getting on a motorcycle to ride up and down Chicago area roadways, interstates included, because of the inherent dangers it poses. However, according to the Illinois Secretary of State, there are at least 315,000 licensed motorcycles that have the potential to ride up and down Illinois roads daily. Given […]

Read More

Most Common Car Accident Injuries in Chicago

When listing the most common car accident injuries in Chicago, it’s good to keep in mind that no two collisions are the same. Vehicle wrecks result in a wide range of injuries. While some are minor, having little impact on the victim’s day-to-day, others are catastrophic, impacting every aspect of the survivor’s life. What are […]

Read More

If Someone Gets Hurt While Working on Your Property Are You Liable?

Every property owner in the state of Illinois has a duty of care to maintain safe premises that are free from hazardous and dangerous conditions. But what happens when someone is hurt? As a property owner, if someone gets hurt while working on your property, are you liable? And what legal rights do injured victims […]

Read More
Tad Thomas on The National Crime Victim Bar Association
National Civil Justice Institute - Trustee
Tad Thomas on Lawyer Minds
Tad Thomas on American Association for Justice
Southern Trial Lawyers Association
Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
Ohio Association for Justice
Kentucky Justice Association
Fellows of the Litigation Counsel of America
Martindale Hubbell Preeminent
2021 Public Justice Member
AAJ Masters of Trial Law: Champion