Nursing homes, long-term care facilities, assisted living homes, and other types of elder care facilities are supposed to provide quality, upstanding care to their residents. Unfortunately, this doesn’t always happen—more often than you may think or want to believe. If you think your loved one has been mistreated, an Aurora nursing home abuse lawyer from Thomas Law Offices can help.
In a nursing home setting, residents who are mistreated may experience abuse or neglect. While abuse is direct and intentional, neglect is often unintentional and the result of understaffing or inadequate training. Either way, your loved one deserves the right to hold the at-fault facility accountable for any injuries or losses.
Nursing Homes in Aurora
If you live in Aurora and you’re looking for a facility to care for your loved one nearby, you have ten nursing homes to choose from. It’s important to thoroughly vet facilities to ensure they have the resources and services available to care for your loved one. According to Medicare, the following facilities are located with Aurora city limits:
- Elmwood Terrance Healthcare Center. With only a one-star rating out of a possible five, Elmwood Terrance Healthcare Center has had issues with health inspections and the quality of resident care.
- Jennings Terrace. Jennings Terrace has a two-star rating and falls short when it comes to health inspections, staffing, and quality of resident care.
- Avantara Aurora. While Avantara Aurora has a four-star rating, it has experienced issues with health inspections.
- Asbury Gardens Nursing & Rehab. With a four-star rating, Asbury Gardens Nursing & Rehab has historically provided residents with quality care.
- Symphony of Orchard Valley. Symphony of Orchard Valley is the only nursing home in Aurora with a documented history of abuse. It has a one-star rating from Medicare.
- The Grove of Fox Valley. The Grove of Fox Valley has a two-star rating and suffers most in health inspections and staffing.
- Alden of Waterford. Alden of Waterford has a four-star rating and has provided residents with proper care in most instances.
- Alden Courts of Waterford. Alden Courts of Waterford is the only long-term care facility in Aurora that has a five-star rating.
- North Aurora Care Center. With only two stars, North Aurora Care Center has had issues with health inspections and staffing.
- Thrive of Fox Valley. Medicare has yet to rate this facility. Newly certified nursing homes with less than 12-15 months of data have not yet been rated.
If your loved one was harmed at one of those facilities, regardless of its rating or history, you have the right to pursue legal action. While only one of those facilities had documented instances of abuse, it’s possible abuse or neglect has taken place at other facilities as well. Unfortunately, most abuse goes unreported.
How to Protect Your Loved One
From the moment your loved one enters into a nursing home, it’s important to pay attention to their condition and the facility’s condition. Vetting and choosing a care home is just the first part of the process. Visit your loved one regularly, and make sure to stop in outside of visiting hours. Be on the lookout for red flags, like unexplained injuries or emotional changes, and report anything you find suspicious. Talk with your loved one and gauge their experiences and treatment. If you think something is wrong, you can take further action.
Even when you do everything you can to protect your loved one, there’s still a chance abuse or neglect could occur. For all nursing home residents in Illinois, reports can be filed with the Illinois Department of Public Health’s Nursing Home Complaint Hotline.
If you call to report the abuse, you’ll be asked about the victim’s contact information and general condition, the alleged abuser, the circumstances that resulted in you reporting abuse, whether the victim is in immediate danger, whether you believe the victim could make the report themselves, your contact information, and any other relevant information including witnesses.
Contact Thomas Law Offices
If you suspect your loved one has been abused and you’ve taken steps to remove them from the situation or filed reports, now it’s time to get in touch with an Aurora nursing home abuse lawyer. At Thomas Law Offices, our attorneys are dedicated to protecting nursing home residents in and around Aurora, and we’re prepared to take your family’s case on next.
While our office is located in Chicago, we serve injured victims throughout Illinois. When you get in touch with our law firm, we’ll evaluate what your loved one has been through, help you determine how best to proceed based on their unique circumstances, and ensure they receive what they need to recover as fully as possible.
The sooner you get in touch with our elder abuse attorneys, the better your chances will be of pursuing a successful claim—whether it resolves through mediation or proceeds to trial. To learn more, contact us today.